It happens to everyone, as we age, we forget things. What we did last summer, where we left our keys, and everyone’s name. However, memory loss is not something to take lightly. Here are 7 ways to help sharpen your memory:
1. Physical activity keeps your muscles in shape; Mental Activity keeps your brain healthy. So read new books, do crossword puzzles and volunteer at schools or local organizations.
2. Socializing combats depression and stress. Connect with friends and family, and go to events when invited.
3. Be Organized. Create lists. Keep your house tidy so it’s easier to find the things you need. Assign a specific place for your wallet, keys and other necessities.
4. Limit distraction and Focus when you’re trying to remember something.
5. Your brain needs serotonin to function properly, so Eat Healthy. Blueberries, salmon, nuts, avocados, whole grains, beans, olive oil, frozen yogurt, dark chocolate and water are all great for your brain. (Of course, consult with your doctor before trying anything new and especially consider the medications you are taking when changing your diet.)
6. Physical Activity increases blood flow, which keeps your brain alert and healthy. Ask your doctor for recommendations before starting an exercise routine.
7. Take Care of Yourself. Follow your doctor’s instructions. Most importantly, know when to ask your family and friends for help. Your loved ones are here to assist you.